Moving Medicine Forward
The University of Ottawa Medical Associates (UMA) is the largest physician partnership in the Department of Medicine of The Ottawa Hospital/Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa. Our partnership has approximately 350 physician partners and employs 175 support staff.
The Business Manager reports to the Chair and is responsible for managing the partnership's day-to-day accounting and financial operations and overseeing the business office.
- Preparation of timely and accurate reporting of all financial data (financial statements, budgets, payment plans, accounts payable, accounts receivable, etc.).
- Daily and monthly review of financial transactions pertaining to bank reconciliations, costing information, invoices and capital and operating budget control.
- Leads the production of financial documents for the annual audit, partners, division practice plans, etc.
- Complies with funding governance, Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) rules and regulations, and accounting standards.
- Manages medical billing processes: ensures standards are met, compliance with provincial regulations, identifies/implements efficiencies, developing policies, and implement change.
- Provides financial guidance and expertise.
- Builds and maintains strong working relationships with stakeholders and partners.
- Attends and reports at monthly Board meetings and Annual General Meeting.
- Manages the business office operations and 17 employees.
- University degree in Commerce/Finance/Accounting
- Professional Designation of Chartered Professional Accountant
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in accounting, budgeting, and analysis.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a management position, supervising staff.
- Solid technical knowledge of current accounting standards.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and SAGE.
- Ability to work independently while using initiative, vision, and leadership to manage a team and provide direction.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of professional judgement in an objective and effective manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; known for developing collaborative working relationships.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal: clear and concise with the ability to communicate concepts and details.
- Excellent organizational, prioritisation, and time-management skills required to coordinate multiple activities and meet strict deadlines.
- Initiative, dedication, and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to effectively summarize financial information.
- Ability to work well under stress.
- Knowledge of EPIC is an asset.
- Proficiency in speaking and comprehending both English and French is an asset.
The City of Ottawa provides a thriving multicultural and bilingual environment. Ottawa boasts numerous cultural activities as well as readily accessible sporting and natural resources, making it an ideal family and healthy living environment.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Support staff are employees of the hiring physician(s) or Division. The Ottawa Hospital is the paymaster of our employees. Although our employees have offices within the Ottawa Hospital, they are not employed by the Ottawa Hospital.
The Department of Medicine is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees. The Department of Medicine will, upon request, provide accommodations in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.