Moving Medicine Forward
The University of Ottawa Medical Associates (UMA) is the largest physician partnership in the Department of Medicine of The Ottawa Hospital/Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa. Our partnership has approximately 350 physician partners and employs 175 support staff.
The Accountant will assist the Business Manager to manage the accounting and financial functions of the UOMA Business Office by preparing financial statements, maintaining accounts payable, and overseeing the work of the Accounts Receivable and Accounting Clerks.
- Support financial operation through accounts reconciliation, financial analysis, and the preparation of financial statements
- Manage full cycle accounting operations: Month-end and year-end close and issue financial statements.
- Prepare financial reports such as budgets, end of year tax packages, and statements of earnings.
- Review financial transactions to ensure accuracy and compliance to budgets
- Support the production of financial documents for the annual audit, partners, division practice plans, etc.
- Prepare and ensure accuracy of UMA accounts payable and maintain financial documents to support all transactions.
- Oversee the day-to-day accounts receivable functions
- Builds and maintains strong working relationships with stakeholders and partners.
- Post secondary education in Commerce/Finance/Accounting
- Professional Designation of Chartered Professional Accountant
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in accounting, preference will be given to candidates with experience in a healthcare environment.
- Solid technical knowledge of current accounting standards, principles, and practices.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and SAGE.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of professional judgement in an objective and effective manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; known for developing collaborative working relationships.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal: clear and concise with the ability to communicate concepts and details.
- Excellent organizational, prioritisation, and time-management skills required to coordinate multiple activities and meet strict deadlines.
- Initiative, dedication, and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to effectively summarize financial information.
- Knowledge of EPIC.
- Knowledge of medical billing practices.
- Proficiency in speaking and comprehending both English and French.
The City of Ottawa provides a thriving multicultural and bilingual environment. Ottawa boasts numerous cultural activities as well as readily accessible sporting and natural resources, making it an ideal family and healthy living environment.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Support staff are employees of the hiring physician(s) or Division. The Ottawa Hospital is the paymaster of our employees. Although our employees have offices within the Ottawa Hospital, they are not employed by the Ottawa Hospital.
The Department of Medicine is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees. The Department of Medicine will, upon request, provide accommodations in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.