Moving Medicine Forward
The Ottawa Hospital (TOH)/University of Ottawa Division of General Internal Medicine (GIM) is seeking family physician hospitalists and general internists to provide clinical services for Acute Medical Inpatients at the Civic Campus.
TOH is at the forefront of health care in Canada, with a focus on exceptional patient care and practice-changing research. The Acute Medicine Hospitalist Program offers opportunities for expanding clinical skills, continuing professional development, research, and an unparalleled work-life balance in a supportive clinical environment. Our program also features a Mentorship program for family physicians and offers flexible arrangements to fit hospitalist medicine into outpatient practices.
Our program is expanding and we are currently hiring for March 2024.
- The Ottawa Hospital – Civic Campus
- EPIC EMR – full training provided
- Workload: approximately 15 patients per physician (capped at 15)
- 2 Physicians on at once, covering a total of 30 in-patients
- 7-day rotation (Monday to Sunday)
- Call requirements: on-call 1 in 2 when on-service (home call)
- Call coverage will focus on overnight issues on 30 inpatients
- Targeting one seven-day rotation per month of coverage per hospitalist, however flexible arrangements are available
The Ideal Hospitalist candidate will:
- Strive for excellent patient care
- Possess great interdisciplinary collaboration skills
- Be either Internal Medicine (FRCPC) or Family Medicine (CCFP) trained
- Have acute care hospitalist experience
- Have excellent English language communication skills; French would be an asset
- Be eligible for an independent license with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO)
- Be registered in good standing with the CMPA
- Daily stipend + Fee-For-Service Billings
- Call stipend + Fee-For-Service Billings on call
The Ottawa Hospital is a 1150 bed tertiary-care hospital serving Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec at four inpatient sites (Civic, General, Heart Institute, and the Rehabilitation Centre) and one ambulatory centre (Riverside). There are approximately 50,000 inpatient admissions, 160,000 emergency visits and over one million outpatient visits annually.
The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute (OHRI) is TOH’s research arm. It ranks fourth out of more than 600 Canadian hospitals for competitive, peer-reviewed grants from the prestigious Canadian Institutes of Health Research. OHRI houses over 2,200 researchers, publishing more than 2,000 studies yearly, with hundreds being high impact publications (top 10% or citations) and places 5th overall in Canada for research funding.
The Department of Medicine is a research-intensive Department. Members currently hold 28 University Research Chairs. The Department receives approximately $60 million per year in external research funding and members publish approximately 1200 peer-reviewed publications annually.
The Faculty of Medicine is a nationally recognized leader, ranked among Canada’s top-tier medical faculties. The Faculty ranks 3rd in Canada for research intensity in Medicine/Science (Maclean’s) and 4th in Canada for citations (2022 THE rankings). The University of Ottawa is the largest bilingual (English-French) university in the world and the first and largest bilingual medical school in Canada. The Faculty of Medicine has a long history of conducting the highest quality basic and clinical research, in close partnership with affiliated hospitals and research institutes. The Web of Science recently published a list of the most highly cited researchers in the world, where seven out of eight researchers identified from the uOttawa are from the Faculty of Medicine. Together, these remarkable achievements are a strong testament to the competitiveness and excellence of our Faculty.
The City of Ottawa provides a thriving multicultural and bilingual environment. Ottawa boasts numerous cultural activities as well as readily accessible sporting and natural resources, making it an ideal family and healthy living environment.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application, including an up-to-date CV to:
Dr. Emily Pranger via Heather Karcher-De Vos
The Ottawa Hospital
505 Smyth Road Room 1103C - Ottawa Ontario K1H8M2
T: 613-737-7700, ext 74441 | Fax: 613-739-6846
The Department of Medicine is committed to ensuring equity, diversity and inclusion in our work environment. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout the recruitment process.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.