Moving Medicine Forward
The Ottawa Hospital (TOH)/University of Ottawa Division of General Internal Medicine (GIM) is seeking family physician hospitalists and general internists to provide clinical services for Acute Medical Inpatients at the Civic Campus.
Our program is expanding and we are currently hiring for March 2024.
TOH is at the forefront of health care in Canada, with a focus on exceptional patient care and practice-changing research. The Acute Medicine Hospitalist Program offers opportunities for expanding clinical skills, continuing professional development, research, and an unparalleled work-life balance in a supportive clinical environment. Our program also features a Mentorship program for family physicians and offers flexible arrangements to fit hospitalist medicine into outpatient practices.
- The Ottawa Hospital – Civic Campus
- EPIC EMR – full training provided
- Workload: approximately 15 patients per physician (capped at 15)
- 2 Physicians on at once, covering a total of 30 in-patients
- 7-day rotation (Monday to Sunday)
- Call requirements: on-call 1 in 2 when on-service (home call)
- Call coverage will focus on overnight issues on 30 inpatients
- Targeting one seven-day rotation per month of coverage per hospitalist, however flexible arrangements are available
The Ideal Hospitalist candidate will:
- Strive for excellent patient care
- Possess great interdisciplinary collaboration skills
- Be either Internal Medicine (FRCPC) or Family Medicine (CCFP) trained
- Have acute care hospitalist experience
- Have excellent English language communication skills; French would be an asset
- Be eligible for an independent license with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO)
- Be registered in good standing with the CMPA
The Ottawa Hospital is a 1150 bed tertiary-care hospital serving Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec at four inpatient sites (Civic, General, Heart Institute, and the Rehabilitation Centre) and one ambulatory centre (Riverside). There are approximately 50,000 inpatient admissions, 160,000 emergency visits and over one million outpatient visits annually.
The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute (OHRI) is TOH’s research arm. It ranks fourth out of more than 600 Canadian hospitals for competitive, peer-reviewed grants from the prestigious Canadian Institutes of Health Research. OHRI houses over 2,200 researchers, publishing more than 2,000 studies yearly, with hundreds being high impact publications (top 10% or citations) and places 5th overall in Canada for research funding.
The City of Ottawa provides a thriving multicultural and bilingual environment. Ottawa boasts numerous cultural activities as well as readily accessible sporting and natural resources, making it an ideal family and healthy living environment.
The Department of Medicine is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning, and work environments. We encourage qualified applicants from all groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity to apply. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout the selection process.
Please note Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application, including an up-to-date CV to:
Dr. Emily Pranger
Via Heather Karcher De-Vos
The Ottawa Hospital
501 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON, K1H 8L6 | Mailbox
T: 613-737-7700, ext 74441 | Fax: 613-739-6846