Moving Medicine Forward
Reporting to the Business Manager, the incumbent is responsible for medical billing submissions and related processes to ensure timely and accurate financial transactions. The Medical Billing Coordinator utilizes accounting and EMR software to address partner inquiries as well as errors, omissions and discrepancies.
(This is not a complete list):
- Communicates with stakeholders and responds to inquiries.
- Using the RAI, corrects or adjusts as required ensuring payments are accurate
- Generates reports as requested
- Uploads PB Claim Run Selection and corrects PB Remittance Advice
- Ensures all charge work queues and RSMO are reviewed before the monthly deadline
- Using ‘Secure Access’ in EPIC, uploads EDT errors
- Responsible for inputting data in the Claim Run Tracker
- Track OHIP inquiries, review responses; determine next step, if any
- Identify and rectify payment discrepancies; liaise with OHIP to ensure pay adjustments are completed as directed
- Responsible for training new employees and ensuring the medical billers are current in their knowledge of EPIC processes
- Assists with onboarding of new partners (including registration with MOHLTC, clarifying specifics of the Schedule of Benefits, and responding to general inquiries)
- Coordinates and/or attends meetings as directed
- Responsible for entering billing in the RSMO Portal for physician portfolio
- Regularly updates physicians and responds to inquiries
- Process/enter revenues from all sources (OHIP, RAMQ, TOH, OHRI, etc.) and run monthly reports
- Utilizes EPIC software to:
- Post payments
- Responsible for investigating received unmatched payments
- Prepares monthly accounts receivable reports
- Running receivable aging reports, drafting correspondence for past-due accounts and collections, and follows up on past-due payments
- Assists with month-end and year-end tasks, including supporting the annual audit process
- Submits MCEDT
- Prepares RAMQ and commercial claim forms
- Generates and sends out monthly statements
- Responds to communications (calls, messages, emails, etc.) in a timely manner
- Maintains accurate records of all receivables, invoices, supporting documentation
and statements in accordance with office records retention policies and practices
- 5+ years recent related experience in medical billing preferably in a hospital environment.
- Certificate in medical terminology from a recognized educational institution is preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of OHIP Schedule of Benefits, RAMQ, and Reciprocal, and Third Party billing.
- Advanced knowledge of EPIC
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft 365 suite of products.
- Experience with SAGE an asset
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Initiative, tact, dedication, diplomacy and positive attitude
- Highly dependable and thorough
- Demonstrated experience in maximizing medical billing submissions.
- Adept at identifying, investigating and resolving medical billing errors, omissions, and exceptions.
- Ability to work independently in a focused team environment.
- Proven ability to manage challenging situations while collaborating for solutions.
- Excellent organizational, prioritization, and time-management skills required to coordinate multiple activities.
- Ability to work well under stress with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in speaking and comprehending both English and French (Level B+) is an asset.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter, quoting the corresponding position title, by email at
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Support staff are employees of the University of Ottawa Medical Associates. The Ottawa Hospital is the paymaster of our employees. Although our employees have offices within the Ottawa Hospital, they are not employed by the Ottawa Hospital.
The University of Ottawa Medical Associates is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees. The University of Ottawa Medical Associates will, upon request, provide accommodations in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.